a TigerRAWk Film

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

A Shared Life: Winter In Chicago (January - March) 2019


On New Year's Day, while relaxing and recuperating from the holidays travels to end 2018, we brought in the New Year watching Stein play with his new bug toy. On New Years Eve, we found our microwave was seeming to no longer work so Elphie found an option on Craigslist. On Saturday January 5th, we picked it up and figured we put the old one out by microwaving Peeps in it. The old one couldn't even do that so I guess it was good that we got the new one when we did! We switched the microwaves then properly microwaved our Peeps before heading to the 12th Day of Christmas Epiphany party with friends!

A Snowpacalype hit Chicago on Saturday January 12th. On Sunday January 13th, I went to Schuba's Tavern for Snüzfest to see The Blamed. I captured a new song titled "I Guess This Is Goodbye" as they played in pajamas.

Filmed LIVE during Snüzfest at Schuba's Tavern in Northside Chicago, Illinois on Sunday January 13th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and Edited by Joel A. Swanson

As I walked home I met the Snowman of The Snowpacalypse. Another round would hit on Friday January 18th into Saturday January 19th. I got up and shoveled the car out so that we could attend the Ollie Mob Whirlyball Meetup. Whirlyball was fun! Whoever came up with this game is a genius! I used Tobin Bawinkel's Facebook Live broadcast in this as well. Afterwards we ate at Portillo's.

Included here is a slightly modified clip of just the Ollie Mob Whirlyball Meetup.


Elphie and I went to Liar's Club to see October Bird of Death and I captured "Vices" from their set.

Filmed LIVE at Liar's Club in Northside Chicago, Illinois on Saturday January 19th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and Edited by Joel A. Swanson.


I captured some shots of the Lunar Eclipse on Sunday January 20th, but cloud cover interfered at the actual time of the eclipse. On Wednesday January 23rd, I decided to capture a clip of a goofy dog in the neighborhood that gets super excited when one walks by, jumping about in circles and such. on Thursday, January 24th, it was warm enough to kill the Snowman of Snowpacalypse, though the very next day it was quite cold again. On Friday January 25th, Wiley Willis put together an "Up The Pups" benefit at Co-Prosperity Sphere. I captured clips from Gnus, Magnifiers, Shitizen, October Bird Of Death (I captured "Shadows Like Teeth"), Sasquatch Turf War, Through N Through, and The Kreutzer Sonata. Below is a playlist from the evening as well as each clip individually posted.
















Filmed LIVE during the Up The Pups Benefit at Co-Prosperity Sphere in Southside Chicago, Illinois on Friday January 25th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and Edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Tuesday January 29th, as I went to work, the Chicago Transit Authority began preparations of the tracks for the Polar Vortex. Elphie grounded me from work during what would be the coldest day of the year in the midst of the Polar Vortex on Wednesday January 30th so I spent a sick day. I returned to work on Thursday January 31st at midday.

On Friday February 1st, I watched Jeremy Seigrist play at Wilson Abbey capturing "Blood Root" from his set. I enjoyed his previous work with Psalters and The Illogical Spoon and it was good to hear his music again. He writes very long songs.

Filmed LIVE at Wilson Abbey in Uptown Chicago, Illinois on Friday February 1st, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and Edited by Joel A. Swanson.

The following week, Friday February 8th I caught Take The Reins, Dan Wade, 6'10, and AM Taxi at Reggies for the album release of AM Taxi.








Filmed LIVE at Reggies in Southside Chicago, Illinois on Friday February 8th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and Edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Thursday February 14th, I became aware that the Shamrock Shake season had begun so Elphie and I went to McDonald's to get my first Shamrock Shake of the season! On Saturday February 16th we hung out at Cobra Lounge and Exit throughout the evening. On Tuesday February 19th, I captured some birds in the snow while waiting on the train to work. On Friday February 22nd, we had some Leper hangs with Skot and Rachel in Joliet as they attempted to get pre-sale tickets for a show that Leper had coming up in April. We got Mexican food and later ice cream! On Saturday February 23rd, I hung with Guy Allen and Krista at the Art Institute then a pizza restaurant. It was my first visit to the Art Institute and I enjoyed it.

On March 1st, there was an acoustic Flatfoot 56 show at 350 Brewing Company. It was also Tobin's birthday so we celebrated that as well. Blind Adam And The Federal League also played that night. I captured "Cain" from Flatfoot 56's set.



Filmed LIVE at 350 Brewing Company in Tinley Park, Illinois on Friday March 1st, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and Edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Thursday March 7th, Elphie and I went to Bottom Lounge and saw Gabriel And The Apocalypse, Little Miss Nasty, Genitorturers, Orgy, and Lords of Acid. Lords of Acid is one of Elphie's favorite bands. I captured "Blue Monday" by Orgy using some footage from Elphie as well.









Filmed LIVE at Bottom Lounge in Near West Side Chicago, Illinois on Thursday March 7th, 2019 using an iPhone 6 and 8 by Elphie and Joel A. Swanson. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini by Joel A. Swanson.

On Friday March 8th, we went to the All State Arena to see Three Days Grace with Disturbed. I captured "Pain Killer" from Three Days Grace and "The Sound Of Silence" from Disturbed. This was a show Elphie wanted to go to more than me. It's not exactly in my genre or preference of type of show but it was a good one. Disturbed is vocal about getting mental health help for those who need it so that cause is a great one.



Filmed LIVE at All State Arena in Rosemont, Illinois on Friday March 8th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and Edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Saturday March 9th, I went to the Aragon Ballroom to see Matt Heckler, Lucero, and Flogging Molly. I captured "(No More) Paddy's Lament" from Flogging Molly. It had been quite some years since I last was able to see Flogging Molly. Matt Heckler reminded me a bit of my friend Dylan Rooke...they also look a bit a like. As I got ready to go to this show, there was a power outage at home in the neighborhood.





Filmed LIVE at Aragon Ballroom in Uptown Chicago, Illinois on Saturday March 9th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and Edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Tuesday March 12th, I went to Live Wire to see Desiring Dead Flesh and captured "I Am A Race Traitor" from their set. Bryan told me that their plans to begin living on the road as a family on a Perpetual Motion Tour were set to begin soon. Erzulie and Alley Slob Service also played. Erzulie called what they do Voodoo Metal...that was interesting.





Filmed LIVE at Live Wire in Northside Chicago, Illinois on Tuesday March 12th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and Edited by Joel A. Swanson.

The additional soundtrack for this project included "Winter Solstice" and "Winter Solstice Alt. Version" by mewithoutYOU, "Winter In Chicago" and Ollie Ollie" by Flatfoot 56, and "Art In Me" by Jars of Clay.

Footage as filmed using an iPhone 6 and 8 and CrossTour CR900 by Elphie and Joel A. Swanson. Additional footage was captured from Tobin Bawinkel's Facebook Live broadcast during the Ollie Mob Whirlyball Meetup. The title was created using Motion 4 on a Macbook by Joel A. Swanson. All other editing was done using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini by Joel A. Swanson.

No comments: