a TigerRAWk Film

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

A Shared Life: Summer In Chicago (July - August 2019)



On Tuesday, July 9th, as I came home from work I noticed that there were a lot of emergency vehicles down the block from our home. I checked it out to see that a house had been on fire (inspiring part of the soundtrack for the project). I returned home, ate a quick meal then headed to the Beat Kitchen to see As Cities Burn. I captured a new song called "Live Convined" from their set.

Filmed LIVE at Beat Kitchen in Northside Chicago, Illinois on Tuesday July 9th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Thursday, July 11th, Elphie and I went to Kate's grand opening of her shop Outskirts with Skot and Rachel Shaw. It is a vintage shop full of interesting clothes. Afterwards, we got ice cream at Johnson's Ice Cream. On my way to work on Friday, July 12th, I noticed some interesting signs posted around my neighborhood regarding I.C.E. as the new gestapo. That evening I went to Reggies to see H.R. from Bad Brains perform. I captured "The Youth Are Getting Restless" from his set. Also playing were DownTown Brown (who played as the backing band for H.R. as well), Top Shelf Lickers, and OvejaNegra.

Filmed LIVE at Reggies in Southside Chicago, Illinois on Friday July 12th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Saturday, Jul 13th, between rain storms we went to a Goth yard sale. Later that evening, we went to Ashbary Coffee House in Willow Springs where Leper was playing as part of the Ashbary Family Values Festival. I captured "Where Is Thy Sting" from their set. On the way home we were detoured due to a fiery inferno on the highway.
Filmed LIVE at Ashbary Coffee House in Willow Springs, Illinois on Saturday July 13th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Sunday July 14th, as I drove to church, I decided to take the highway and see the aftermath of this inferno. It appeared the northbound lanes were still closed so I drove Archer home and ended up following a disgruntled customer of Hawk Auto. Later that evening I went to Villa Park Punk Night to see Desiring Dead Flesh with Democide and American Slang. I captured "God Bless Afghanistan" from Desiring Dead Flesh.


Filmed LIVE at O’Neill’s Pub in Lombard, Illinois on Sunday July 14th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Tuesday,  July 16th, I went to Live Wire to see Leper as they performed with Seven Spires and The Mystical Hot Chocolate Endeavors. I captured "Cabaret Of Dreams" from Seven Spires and "13 Silver Bullets" from Leper. Leper really impressed one of the patrons that evening and was able to sell one of everything to the guy.


Filmed LIVE at LIveWire in Northside Chicago, Illinois on Tuesday July 16th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On my was home from work on the evening of Wednesday, July 17th, I was treated to some free entertainment on the CTA. A young man decided to play a tune on his violin (...or fiddle?) for those of us who happened to be on board at the time. On Thursday, July 18th, I celebrated National Hot Dog Day then went record shopping at Reckless Records, in part for Shawn Browning because he found that there were copies of Grave Robber on vinyl in Chicago so I picked them up for him. I also picked up some Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Rancid vinyls for myself. On Friday, July 26th, I witnessed a strange argument in the Roosevelt station of the CTA. I took note of when the next train would be coming in to go home then watched the argument for a few moments until it came to an end. Later that night, I went to Reggies to catch the Pilfers who were playing with The Prizefighters, J. Navarro and the Traitors, and Stop The Presses. I captured "Right Apart" by J. Navarro and the Traitors. I enjoyed all the bands and it was nice to have several ska/punk/reggae shows to go to over the summer.



Filmed LIVE at Reggies in Southside Chicago, Illinois on Friday July 26th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Saturday July 27th, I tried to go to Beat Kitchen during the day to catch a screening of the Ska documentary Pick It Up! but it had sold out. I found out at the door which was a bit annoying to make the trip all the way there only to find that out. It would have been nice to see it posted on the social media since it had apparently sold out earlier in the morning. Oh well...that night I went to Subterranean, which was also sold out but I had a ticket! I caught Hepcat with Deals Gone Bad. Both had played the night before during Wicker Park Fest which was continuing outside.

Filmed LIVE at Subterranean in Wicker Park Chicago, Illinois on Saturday July 27th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Friday, August 2nd, I caught 2Minute Minor and Some Kind Of Nightmare with Turbo Vamps, El Escapado, and Take The Reins at Liar's Club. I captured "Corruption Runs Deep" from 2Minute Minor's set. It was my first time seeing them with the entire newer lineup on stage.




Filmed LIVE at Liar’s Club in Lincoln Park Chicago, Illinois on Friday August 2nd, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson.

While shopping for groceries at Meijer on Saturday August 3rd, I went to get corn and found empty husks. I managed to find some corn that had corn in it but the empty husks were pretty funny. On Monday, August 12th, Elphie and I were invited to celebrate Kori turning 50. There was good food and good hangs in general. On Friday, August, 16th, my parents came to visit. We took them to Huck Finn's for dinner. Elphie had strong feelings in regards to the donuts that they serve. On Saturday, August 17th, we took my parents to Tio Luis for dinner then to the Wheaton All Night Flea Market. On Sunday, August 18th, I took my parents to see the Chicago Air and Water Show. I also took them downtown to Millennium Park to see the Bean up close as well as the Crown Fountain and its faces while it spits water. My mom had an issue with her iPhone and set up an appointment at Best Buy so I took them there, then took CTA home to get the car and come back to pick them up. We got Chop Suey City for dinner. On Monday, August 19th, we took my parents to Tre Kronor and to the Sweden Shop. On Tuesday, August 20th, we took my parents to the Field Museum. We didn't get a lot in at the museum but saw some interesting specimens in the nature walk area. We got Falco's for dinner. On Wednesday, August 21st, I decided to go see the Navy Pier Fireworks. I wanted to film them using my Canon Rebel T6. I was not able to get set up quite quick enough to use my tripod while I used my larger lens so the footage was quite shaky. I also captured the Bean and Crown Fountain faces in Millennium Park before going home.
Filmed along Lake Shore Drive and in Millennium Park in downtown Chicago on Wednesday August 21st, 2019 using a Canon Rebel T6. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Friday, August 23rd, there was a cookout celebration at Cornerstone Community Outreach. I captured a short clip of that along with the new murals that had been painted in the alley. On Saturday, August 24th, Elphie wanted to get rid of things so she had a yard sale. I captured some clips of a butterfly while we were out doing the yard sale. That evening, opening up a night of Nocturna there were performances by Autumn and The Bellwether Syndicate at Metro. I left early to go to Liar's Club to see Good Saint Nathanael and Black Swift. I captured "White Flag" as done by Good Saint Nathanael as well as "Better" with the songs going into each other. I was glad to have been able to see Nate Allen, I wasn't sure if it would happen with Nocturna going on. Earlier in the month, Burt from Black Swift stayed with me for a couple of nights. I had heard of Black Swift due to a few interviews Sally Grayson had done on the "Urban Achiever" and "Never Was" podcasts so I was very interested in seeing them as well. It worked out! I also was able to purchase some Black Swift albums on vinyl. I captured "Bang Bang" from Black Swift's set. As I was returning to Metro for more Nocturna, Elphie texted that she was ready to go. I picked her up and we returned to Liar's Club to wait for Nate to be ready to go. We had Nate stay at our house then I drove him to the airport the next morning. We had some good hangs and good talk. It was an unusual but fun night. It also got quite cold that night for a summer night.

Filmed LIVE during Nocturna at Metro in Wrigleyville Chicago, Illinois on Saturday August 24th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson.


Filmed LIVE at Liar’s Club in Lincoln Park Chicago, Illinois on Saturday August 24th, 2019 using an iPhone 8. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Monday, August 26th, Elphie captured a guy making his own smoking section on the CTA between the cars. On Thursday, August 29th, I went to Cobra Lounge for Brick Assassin's last show. I captured the full set. I used my Canon Rebel T6 for this show and was able to set up in a little spot isolated from the crowd and elevated slightly above them. It worked out fairly well and though I was side stage near the speakers, it wasn't overbearing for the camera's microphone. I was pretty happy with how the footage turned out overall. Also performing were Frueza Bruta, Victory, Law/Less, and Udusic. At home, a fan fell out of the window causing Stein to get very scared and panicky. He ended up peeing on our bed. Elphie didn't have the best evening.






Setlist:
1. Intro
2. C.B.C. (Chicago Brick Crew)
3. Ruled By You
4. Today Your Love Tomorrow The World
5. Bonehead Dicks
6. Poison
7. Colossal Man
8. R.T.R. (Stomp The Nazis
9. LEt Me Bleed
10. All The Lessons
11. Entitlement Generation
12. New Age



Filmed LIVE at Cobra Lounge in Near Westside Chicago, Illinois on Thursday August 29th, 2019 using an iPhone 8 and Canon Rebel T6. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson.

On Friday August 30th, we flew to Alaska. That project and blog will follow at a later date.

The soundtrack for the project is "You Were A House On Fire" by Listener, "Turntable" by Rancid, and "American War Machine" by The Huntingtons.

Filmed using an iPhone 6 and 8, Canon Rebel T6, and CrossTour CR900 by Elphie and Joel A. Swanson. Titles created using Motion 4 on a Macbook by Joel A. Swanson. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini by Joel A. Swanson

No comments: