a TigerRAWk Film

Saturday, September 23, 2017

LaLaJPUSA 2017



LaLaJPUSA was a communal music and art festival held for the first time this year at JPUSA in Uptown Chicago over the Labor Day weekend. I attended on Saturday September 2nd, 2017 to see the bands. I was a little late due in part to public transit so I missed Bird and Herd unfortunately so when I created an intro video, I decided to go to Stasia's bandcamp page to find some music to use. I also used the song in the video where the art exhibition was displayed that I put in the playlist in place of a dinner break. I decided to utilize my Canon Rebel T6 for the third time on this day. I did not use a tripod so there are points where the video footage is a bit shaky.

I used the show flyer and the posted schedule as an intro for each band instead of using text in the "music video" formatting style. This also is how the DvD version is opened up and used as a menu. This was the first time seeing and in some cases even hearing about a number of the bands on the lineup for this event. My plan was to film a song from every band and I decided that I would get the full set performed by Leper.

The artists performed in the JPUSA sideyard in the basketball court throughout the afternoon until the dinner break. Those bands were Bird and Herd (which I missed), Discoverer, Qajaq, NAAL, Christian Welch, Katamalinga, Endolphins, The Ghost Servant, and Families.

After dinner, Parental Petulance kicked off the evening in the sideyard. They would be the last outdoor set due to some unforecasted rain that arrived when Leper was scheduled to start. Folks who had a hand in making this event happen as well as others who were just there worked together to rearrange to make the rest of the evening work while Teel Short finished his set in the Garden Room. It was decided to have The Psalmist play next in the Garden Room as folks set up the dining room (which is currently being renovated) so that some of the bands could play in there. Christina Sawyer played in the Garden Room as this was going on as well.

Leper played the first set of the night in the Dining Room. This was the set that I filmed in its entirety other than a few quick stops due to that dang "12 minute limit" I still have yet to figure a bypass for. The set was a shorter one to fit with the rest of the days event. The songs that were played were Beneath The Sun, Gathering Darkness, and Take What You Want From Me. I put the Leper set last in the playlist because I included in the video file my "credits" clip so I figured it made sense to close the playlist with that.

After Leper, MC Foucault did some hip hop in the Garden Room then Jazz Robots played the Dining Room. Aracely played the Garden Room next followed by Sam Arias in the Dining Room. The night was closed out by the Brittany Briggs Band.

LaLaJPUSA was a cool event. Brien Cron, Charity Taylor, and Justin and Meghan Filizola put it together and seemed to roll with the punches as needed to pull it off. Other folks seemed to enjoy it and gave positive feedback. So thank you guys for putting on a good day of music as well as the rest of the event!

Filmed during LaLaJPUSA 2017 at JPUSA in Uptown Chicago, Illinois on Saturday September 2nd, 2017 using a Canon Rebel T6. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini.
Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson
aTigerRAWkFilm.blogspot.com

No comments: