a TigerRAWk Film

Monday, September 11, 2017

A TigerRAWk Film Equipment Update (2016)


I think it was late in 2010 or early 2011 that I made my last camera purchase. At that time I acquired a JVC HDD Everio and you can see my thoughts if at that time if you're so inclined here. In the time I had that camera, I ran into issues of the camera shutting off in loud environments. The error message (that I can't quite recall the exact words) led me to believe that a built in "drop protection" was triggered by the vibrations of the loud music. When most of what you film is LIVE concert footage, this feature can come to be a disservice to what you are doing. At the time though, I spent my money on the camera so I would have to just deal with it. Sometime that spring, the camera was stolen during a basement show at the house I where I lived...I ended up replacing it. I lost whatever show footage that I had between the end of 2010 and first half of 2011 to whoever stole that camera. I don't know if this was a problem across the board with the JVC HDD Everio but I learned, after filling the hard drive at Cornerstone 2011, that there seemed to be bad spots on the drive which made it difficult to move some of the footage to my computer for the purpose of editing. I persisted in using this camera for the next five years in spite of these technical difficulties, again because I made the purchase. I don't have a lot of expendable income to buy things then not use them so I tried to make the best of it but all these things would frustrate me.

During Take Hold Fest 2016, which was the most recent video project that I was able to complete, the view screen stopped working. This of course made things difficult to film but I would learn just recently, it also made it almost impossible to get footage off that camera due to the "laser touch operation" buttons. I wish this wasn't the case because I would like to still use that camera as a secondary option on occasion. Perhaps I will look into the fixes I found online recently.

Anyway, with the issues explained above all piling up, I decided that it was time to look for a new camera. For some years, some of my camera enthusiast friends would insist that I should get a DSLR camera. The reasoning was picture quality and that they all pretty much do video these days. I started taking this advice into my search this time around. I asked some of my professional friends as well. It seemed that Canon was a brand that was well respected. As I looked for what would seem to fit my needs for this hobby, I was realizing this would likely be an expensive purchase. I talked to my wife about the possibility of using Christmas present money to cover some of the cost since we do buy each other stuff...from there a discussion was also had with my mother to maybe chip some money in as well. This all was in discussion as Thanksgiving came up on the calendar. We usually travel to Pennsylvania for the holiday but Black Friday shopping isn't our usual thing to do. Nonetheless, we ended up in the local Warren, PA Walmart where one of the big deals of the day happened to be the Canon Rebel T6 DSLR camera with bag, memory card and 2 lenses included. The price was lower than usual. I messaged a few of those whose brains I had been picking...ultimately, we made the purchase.

In this video, I demonstrated the difference in video quality between the Canon Rebel T6 and the JVC HDD Everio. Also included is a live clip from a Wilson Abbey show featuring 2Minute Minor as I put this new camera in action along with the old camera, again to show any differences in video quality.

I decided to purchase a few things that I thought would be helpful for making the best possible video projects that I could. One purchase was a microphone. There is no micophone input on this camera but I thought maybe the "hot shoe" would make it work. I searched for microphones that were listed as compatible. The one I purchased came with a cord and was not compatible so I had to return it. I also purchased some memory cards, a wide angle lens and a few cleaning items that came in a bundle with a flimsy tripod. I purchased a more sturdy tripod from Target the night before going to a show. On the night of the Wilson Abbey show (12.09.2016) where the footage used in the demonstration was captured, I learned a few things about the Canon Rebel T6. First, when built out with the lenses, it is heavy...too heavy in fact for the tripod I purchased at Target. The camera did fall to the ground but seems to still be in working order. I was able to use it the rest of the night. The lenses did not break. I am thankful for that. I also learned about what is apparently known as the "12 minute limit" which I hoped to figure out how to override. It seems I need to learn some coding and download something called "Magic Lantern" from what I am told. At this point I am apprehensive about doing this having no experience doing this of this nature before.

The first project using the Canon Rebel T6 will hopefully be finished up in the next week then I hope to move into 2017 footage...mostly working backwards through the "festival" footage I have waiting to be edited, processed, and uploaded. I hope an improvement will be seen in my ability to use the Canon Rebel T6 over the course of my usage of it so far. In writing this, I think I will look to see if any microphone might be available that can be used with this camera again. I also welcome anyone with any skills at using "Magic Lantern" (or anything else that could work) to break me free of the "12 minute limit" and improve my filming skills. I have purchased a much sturdier tripod that has been helpful.

The plan moving forward was to hopefully continue to use the JVC HDD Everio but as I learned (and documented above) that is likely not going to happen until I make repairs. Also, the plan was to move forward with the Sony HD Bloggie that's taken a beating over the years but I still was able to use occasionally. Unfortunately, during the return trip from Audiofeed 2017 (to be edited and posted eventually), I believe the Sony HD Bloggie was mistakenly dropped in a parking lot and lost forever...maybe even run over. So, moving forward, I still do have my iPhone 6 that will be utilized.

Soundtrack includes “Information Architect” by Norway³ and “Follow Your Own Path” (LIVE) by 2Minute Minor.

Footage filmed using an iPhone 6, JVC HDD Everio, and Canon Rebel T6 & edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed & edited by Joel A. Swanson

No comments: