a TigerRAWk Film

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

JVC HDD Everio GZ-HD500BU Camera: Technical Difficulties...Help?!

In the fall of 2016, while at Take Hold Fest in Grand Rapids I was filming using my JVC HDD Everio GZ-HD500BU as I pretty much always have done for festivals up to that point since 2010. During the evening of Saturday, the flip out LCD display screen stopped working while out at the usual 90 degree angle. I ended up figuring out that if I flipped it and folded it back in so its back was against the camera, I could see what I was filming at least, though the angle was weird. I decided this was the last straw for this camera. I have had issues of files seemingly being damaged, making them difficult to move to my mac for editing...sometimes being impossible to move in their entirety. Now if the display wasn't working properly, it felt like a good time to move on to a new camera.

I did acquire a new camera...but still had work to do on the old footage from this camera. That is what I have most recently been working through.

Last night, since I had cleared some hard drive space, I decided I would move the footage from the camera shot during Take Hold Fest as well as another show...but I have now run into a new problem. Apparently the same issue that plagues my screen also plagues the "laser touch operation" which is necessary to select the option to upload files from the camera.

Any searches I have done through Google has shown that it is likely I will need to disassemble the camera and either repair or acquire new "flex cable" or worst case scenario, acquire an adapter to access the files on the hard drive from the camera. Replacing or repairing the "flex cable" appears to be the cheapest solution since I don't plan to use this camera anymore.

Basically, I would like to get these last video files of Take Hold Fest and another show off of this camera so I can retire it and move on from both this camera and video footage from the year 2016.

I need help.

Do I know anyone out there that knows anything about this kind of stuff?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

No comments: