a TigerRAWk Film

Tuesday, June 8, 2021

LIVE Music Is Back!

 I hope this isn't one of those "too good to be true" times in life...but LIVE music seems to be coming back as society "opens" again following the COVID-19 pandemic.

I'm not sure that I'll make a new blog post every time that I am able to attend a live event, but I decided I would at least this time. In the past, I believe I included videos from my attendance at live events in the seasonal collection of videos rather than do a post every event because that would likely get a bit overwhelming. I'm pretty sure that's what I will go back to doing, with exceptions here and there.

Saturday June 5th, 2021, was the day that I got to attend a LIVE music event in person in the same room as the artist and others who also attended for the first time since March 2020. That's somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 months. I did watch a number of live streamed performances over that time. But it was really nice to be in the room again with the artist and other folks.

This show wasn't exactly a public show. It was a free event at JPUSA in the Garden Room in Uptown Chicago, which seemed to have been closed as a gathering space for that community over the pandemic. The show featured Teel Short, The Ghost Servant, and Leper.

I took a shot with my iPhone 8 of the flyer. I didn't realize it but I shot it in the slow motion setting. I had an idea to make a short title intro to each clip I captured and posted from this event using that shot of the flyer. I put the clip in Motion 4 and maneuvered the "camera" setting to zoom in on the cut out images of each artist then zoom to the artist name. I had the text type out using the "American Typewriter" font the song title for each clip and my filming and editing credits. The slow motion setting caused for a flickering light effect to be in the shot. I had ideas of adding "Bad TV" and "Bad Film" effects but didn't end up doing that. Actually, I sort of forgot about it until after I had begun to compress the rendered and finalized files for uploading.

I shot the live footage using my Canon Rebel T6. I'm thinking of using that when I can going forward, rather than just my iPhone 8. This will depend some on mode of transportation to the venue and venue rules.

Teel Short was the opening set. I captured the song "Real Thing."
https://youtu.be/CPFnzvhkYjA

The Ghost Servant was next and I captured "Think Of The Sparrows."
https://youtu.be/DiXWsUxAWRs

Leper closed the night playing a different sort of set list of mostly older songs. I captured "Non Ho Piu Paura Di Dormire (I'm Not Afraid To Sleep Anymore)."
https://youtu.be/IIq33yoCa4M

Again it was really good to be in the same space as the artist performing with other folks again. Looking forward to this occurring regularly again!

Filmed using an iPhone 8 and Canon Rebel T6. Titles created using Motion 4 on a MacBook. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson

No comments: