a TigerRAWk Film

Friday, June 9, 2017

The Asylum & GothiCon: The Unauthorized Documentary

IMPORTANT NOTE DUE TO EVENTS THAT HAS TRANSPIRED IN THE YEARS SINCE THIS EVENT TOOK PLACE AND THIS PROJECT WAS CREATED: GothiCon was put on by the ministry called The Grave Robbers who had a presence as several of the Audiofeed Music Festivals including hosting a tent in 2022. While The Grave Robbers Ministry did partner with The Asylum to put on this event and some others, The Grave Robbers Ministry had no official affiliation with the Kodesh Mishkan Ministry Group nor The Asylum. Also of note, as of 2023, The Grave Robbers Ministry is no longer active. There is no affiliation between Kodesh Mishkan Ministry Group and me, Joel A. Swanson. There is no affiliation between The Asylum and me, Joel A. Swanson. While I have attended events that included both the Kodesh Mishkan Ministry Group and The Asylum...while I had interest in learning more about both, there was never any official commitment to join either entity by me. I have no regrets on that decision. This project was created in the wake of abandoned plans to document the 2016 GothiCon event held at Audiofeed Music Festival primarily in The Asylum Tent which was run, in part, by folks who were affiliated to the Kodesh Mishkan Ministry Group. This project was created on my own free will and presented here as it was originally created. There has been things said and done in the years since this event happened and the creating of this project that have resulted in a separation of Kodesh Mishkan Ministry Group and The Asylum Ministry and led to both ministries being asked to not participate in future Audiofeed Music Festivals. Some of those very things said and done may result in the presentation of this project being at least somewhat inaccurate. This came to mind due to a few (not manny, really) instances where folks have asked me about either the Kodesh Mishkan Ministry Group or The Asylum in the years since this event and this project were created. I will always be willing to speak of my experiences with either entity but want it to be clear that I was never in any official capacity, involved with either one. I had had thoughts of creating another video to detail how this is the case, however, at this time I think these few paragraphs ought to be sufficient as an amendment.
There was a plan to make another documentary on the events of GothiCon 2016: The Family Reunion which was hosted by The Grave Robbers ministry in The Asylum Tent at Audiofeed Festival but those plans got scrapped. It is my understanding there was not enough footage that fit the idea to make a documentary. I can take some of the blame for that. I was told of a few things that were intended to be in the documentary but I asked that someone else could film those things as I had a bit of a full plate video wise anyway ( I was also making a documentary on the Road Dog Cafe ministry of Mama Linda which I called "Feed My Sheep"). I guess those things did not get taken care of so the decision was made...no documentary.

Well...

I had footage, from not just GothiCon but other events during Audiofeed Festival at The Asylum so I decided to see what I could do with that footage so I made this project. What is included is one of the morning worship services held by The Asylum, a few of the speakers - Happy Little Day, Dan "Pops" Bawinkel & Dougle McMysteron, an Autism Panel hosted by Bill Fanum & Mike Sheehy of The Asylum & Grave Robbers ministries, & several clips from bands who not only played The Asylum but elsewhere at Audiofeed Festival that seemed to be related to the event: Reckless Mercy, Insomniac Folklore, Leper, White Collar Sideshow, Dead Artist Syndrome, Dark Valentine, Exegesis, Until We Have Faces, & Grave Robber. I also included a few other clips from throughout Audiofeed Festival to show other aspects of the weekend that could have been experienced.

I called this an "unauthorized" documentary in that I just decided to make one. My hope is that those involved will not find a reason to be upset by it & that it might be useful to someone. Thanks to all involved: The Asylum, Audiofeed Festival, Grave Robbers ministry, Kodesh Mishkan Ministry Group, The Road Dog Cafe, artists & speakers, & all else who made it possible.

Here is a GothiCon video playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh9ZwEF2QQpNvnrcajWp42KEeHl8z590m

Other footage is available on the YouTube channels of Mike Sheehy & Joel A. Swanson.

The footage was filmed by Mike Sheehy, Elphie, & Joel A. Swanson. Editing was done on Final Cut Pro using a Mac Mini by Joel A. Swanson.

No comments: