I flew out to Los Angeles and then drove to Ventura, California for J.C.H.C. Fest 2026 at Ventura Missionary Church. It was held in July this year, a few weeks after Audiofeed. The combination of the two ends up being my TigerRAWknRoll Summer 2026. Part one is available linked here.
With J.C.H.C. Fest being a one day event, I figured I could fly out on Friday after work then return on Sunday so I wouldn't need to take time off from work. My flight out was delayed and the hotel attendant didn't speak but otherwise it was a fun little trip. I was able to eat at In-N-Out twice and see some good music.
The ticketing option for J.C.H.C. Fest was a general ticket or a V.I.P. ticket which gave back stage access and tacos. I believe at the point when I purchased my general ticket, the V.I.P. option was $20 more. I figured the bands would be out and around most of the event (and I was correct) and I could pay for my tacos separately.
https://youtu.be/w81BEnc7sJo
I did not make as much of an effort on a promotional or introduction video as I did with Audiofeed. This being a one day event and one flyer for advertisement, I didn't feel the need to do more than I did. I decided to utilize the Audiofeed circle logo orbiting project again to "roll" it out and bring in the J.C.H.C Fest flyer and added some basic text. For the promotional clip, I included my getting In-N-Out before the clip. It is about 35 seconds with a soundtrack of "J.C.H.C." by Officer Negative.
I did take 30 second clips and made a summary video of the trip out and back and attending J.C.H.C Fest along with the clips from the bands I saw play (all by NMDS HXC and Headnoise) to go with the full song clips and full set of Officer Negative.
All the footage was captured using my iPhone 14 because I did not feel like carrying my other camera with me on this trip.
https://youtu.be/3EXD_hCQ3yU
07.17.2026
After work on Friday July 17th, 2026, I was scheduled to fly out to LAX where I would rent a car and drive out to Ventura, California. Throughout the day, I kept an eye on the flight information. Up until about 5pm everything appeared to be 'on time' and then suddenly it was switched to delayed by a few hours. I got home and decided to not rush through eating dinner, at some point the incoming flight was switched lessening the delay a little bit. I left to get to Midway with a couple hours to spare in case of any difficulties at the checkpoint. Other than the fact that most of the checkpoints had been closed, herding everyone through one check point, it wasn't a problem. The flight gate changed sometime between the checkpoint and the metal detector screening to one of the last gates in the terminal. I got there and waited. There was another delay in boarding for some reason. Because I didn't pay to pick my seat, I was given a middle seat. The new process does not seem to move any quicker or efficient than the old process. I ended up between a father and his daughter which was a strange thing, I think.
We took off and made it to LAX around 1am. I went to find where to take the shuttle to get my rental car. While walking to the pick up location, I captured some footage of the alien space ship looking structure outside of the entrance to LAX.
I was able to get my rental car, took a few minutes to figure things out in it but once I did, I made the drive to Ventura, California where I would be staying at Travelers Beach Inn. Along the way, I passed a Randy's Donut with its donut sculpture on top. It turns out to be part of Atlas Obscura! I also passed Santa Clara, thinking Santa Carla from Lost Boys and Santa Clarita of the diet fame as I made my way to Ventura, taking quick clips with my phone. Once I arrived on the exit to get to the hotel in Ventura, I wish I would have captured the sign, especially considering there was no traffic. But I didn't.
At Travelers Beach Inn, I parked and went to the office. There was a sign indicating to go to the window. I did so and rang a bell. The attendant eventually came and looked pissed. He never said a word. He took my ID and card, came back with a key and returned my ID and card, then pointed toward the room. That was the extent of my interaction with the hotel staff. The door was a bit sticky but I got in and then was able to lock it. I got situated and finally got to go to sleep about 4am Pacific Time.
We took off and made it to LAX around 1am. I went to find where to take the shuttle to get my rental car. While walking to the pick up location, I captured some footage of the alien space ship looking structure outside of the entrance to LAX.
I was able to get my rental car, took a few minutes to figure things out in it but once I did, I made the drive to Ventura, California where I would be staying at Travelers Beach Inn. Along the way, I passed a Randy's Donut with its donut sculpture on top. It turns out to be part of Atlas Obscura! I also passed Santa Clara, thinking Santa Carla from Lost Boys and Santa Clarita of the diet fame as I made my way to Ventura, taking quick clips with my phone. Once I arrived on the exit to get to the hotel in Ventura, I wish I would have captured the sign, especially considering there was no traffic. But I didn't.
At Travelers Beach Inn, I parked and went to the office. There was a sign indicating to go to the window. I did so and rang a bell. The attendant eventually came and looked pissed. He never said a word. He took my ID and card, came back with a key and returned my ID and card, then pointed toward the room. That was the extent of my interaction with the hotel staff. The door was a bit sticky but I got in and then was able to lock it. I got situated and finally got to go to sleep about 4am Pacific Time.
07.18.2026
I didn't feel like I slept all that great, but I woke up on Saturday July 18th, 2026, and got myself ready to go out to Ventura Missionary Church for J.C.H.C. Fest. As I exited my hotel room, I looked around and noticed it seemed perhaps the hotel staff was watching me, seemingly concerned by my presence. I had set my things down to work on getting the door shut and locked so I picked them up and went to the car. I located a nearby In-N-Out to get something to eat before J.C.H.C. Fest. I ordered a burger and drink...and it took forever to receive my order. It was ridiculously busy. People kept coming in from the beach as well! I finally got my order and left to get to J.C.H.C. Fest, eating it along the way. It was so good! I arrived, finished the burger and drink, and headed toward the entrance, noticing folks coming out. I had unfortunately just missed NMDS HXC. I am glad I saw them at Audiofeed but I still wish I hadn't missed their set.
Saul Of Tarsus ended up being the first band I saw. I captured the song "Rise of the Drones" which makes me thing of the band Staple with their "Rise of the Robots."
Dear Adversary was meant to play at Audiofeed but didn't make it for some reason. I was glad to see them here and I captured the last song of their set.
https://youtu.be/fxdfVpo9-YY
https://youtu.be/fxdfVpo9-YY
Headnoise unfortunately had to drop off. Edie is still in recovery from the injury she endured during a car accident in June. I wasn't aware that they would not be playing. Perhaps somewhere there had been an announcement. Later in the evening, Robert and Edie were at the fest and Robert was giving out CD copies of the latest Headnoise release. I told him I had hoped to buy a vinyl.
TAKE was sound checking and preparing to play when I thought Headnoise was taking the stage. Then they left to change clothes. When it became the scheduled time for TAKE, they did take the stage dressed similarly to how they did at Audiofeed in workout clothes. I captured the song "Amen" which had a little interlude of Norma Jean's "Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste" performed by on of xDoulosx guys and an inflated hamster or something on stage.
https://youtu.be/UKO-vZFVLEM
https://youtu.be/UKO-vZFVLEM
Light The Way was next. I captured one of their faster, harder songs but they were the first of a couple bands with more pop sensibilities.
I captured Watashi Wa playing "I'm Always On Your Side" with some humorous technical difficulties to start. This concluded the pop sensibilities of the day.
https://youtu.be/ZjZviaMmI6U
https://youtu.be/ZjZviaMmI6U
Deathbreaker played a new song called "All Hail" next and it seemed to go over pretty well.
https://youtu.be/HfN2wI884Gw
https://youtu.be/HfN2wI884Gw
Barriers came from Ireland...I assume they had other shows or a tour in the USA as well. They were great!
I decided to have "taco break" at this point. I went to get in line for Shove It Tacos and I'm not sure what it was called but what was left was some sort of potato based food in the tortilla for my taco. Apparently the V.I.P.s and the bands nearly sold them out before I got in line. I added a little salsa and ate them. I figured I would go to In-N-Out again after J.C.H.C. Fest ended for the night.
xDoulosx opened the evening and I captured "Psalm 43." They always are putting on good shows and a reason why I wanted to come to this event.
https://youtu.be/JCpiwdqxUiI
https://youtu.be/JCpiwdqxUiI
Symphony In Peril flew in from Ohio and wherever else they may be from for this. They were another main reason for my flying out. I captured "The Truth That Binds" which is one of their newer songs.
Officer Negative was next to last. I captured the entire set figuring they were the reason for this fest and deserved the recognition. It was a longer set than I anticipated but I captured it all and I am glad that I did. It was fun to see them again. This was their home church and they offered an invite to those who may be looking for a church home.
Setlist:
1, Dead To The World
2. Real Faith
3. Drowning
4. Serpents
5. New World Disorder
6. Satan's Gonna Lose
7. Human Garbage Can
Setlist:
1, Dead To The World
2. Real Faith
3. Drowning
4. Serpents
5. New World Disorder
6. Satan's Gonna Lose
7. Human Garbage Can
8. Sing Along Song
9. Sanctified
10. Stars And Stripes
11. Pressure
12. Zombie Nation
13. J.C.H.C.
9. Sanctified
10. Stars And Stripes
11. Pressure
12. Zombie Nation
13. J.C.H.C.
Cultist closed the night. I captured the song "Momento Mori" which was the end of their set. It was my first time seeing them and it seems there were a few technical glitches but it was still a fun show.
https://youtu.be/ST9Q3LxPLWE
https://youtu.be/ST9Q3LxPLWE
After J.C.H.C. Fest was over, I began to drive back toward my hotel in Ventura with a plan to stop by In-N-Out again. I decided to take a different route, but since it was dark I can't necessarily call it the scenic route. When I got near the In-N-Out, I misunderstood the lanes and had to go to turn aournd. I drove down near the beach and just turned around there. In-N-Out was busy again! I decided to order my meal "animal style" this time and also got fries. I ate it outside at one of the tables.
I drove back to the hotel and waited for midnight then drove to an nearby EV charger to get the better price. This car had a higher capacity battery than my Bolt so it only took about 10 minutes to charge! I got back to the hotel and made my plan for getting up to leave and arrive at the airport in time for my flight and to return the car on time.
I drove back to the hotel and waited for midnight then drove to an nearby EV charger to get the better price. This car had a higher capacity battery than my Bolt so it only took about 10 minutes to charge! I got back to the hotel and made my plan for getting up to leave and arrive at the airport in time for my flight and to return the car on time.
07.19.2026
I had to get up around 7am to ensure I could get the car back on time to the rental center and get through the checkpoints and screening to fly back home from LAX to Midway. I had hoped for an opportunity to go to the beach and ocean since I was right there but I just didn't have it in me to wake up any earlier. I left my key in the cup stuck to the window of the hotel office as it instructed me to do. No human interaction. I captured some scenic footage when I could on the drive. I got off the highway to stop for a charge at one place only to find the chargers all in use and a line of cars waiting. I had planned an alternative stop if needed so I utilized that. I got the car charged up where it would need to be for turning it in. Trying to get into the rental center proved a bit confusing and I ended up having to turn around and go back once but I made it in time. As I left, the shuttle service was just getting ready to pull out. Thankfully I was able to board and get to LAX with plenty of time as well. I went through the check point and screening and found my way to my gate for my flight back home. This flight was on time and the boarding process seemed to go a bit more efficiently and quickly than on Friday night. I had one person in front of me who appeared to take the wrong seat and was giving the staff a bit of a hard time as well. I went to my middle seat a bit further back.
Back in Chicago, it was smoky from wild fires. Elphie had prepared pasta to eat and being as tired as I was after this trip, I just hung out and watched movies for the evening.
I did enjoy J.C.H.C. Fest. If I do make the trip again if it is held again, I may try to schedule my flights a bit differently...probably my hotel stay as well. But the event itself was good and enjoyable.
"J.C.H.C." by Officer Negative is only additional soundtrack.
Back in Chicago, it was smoky from wild fires. Elphie had prepared pasta to eat and being as tired as I was after this trip, I just hung out and watched movies for the evening.
I did enjoy J.C.H.C. Fest. If I do make the trip again if it is held again, I may try to schedule my flights a bit differently...probably my hotel stay as well. But the event itself was good and enjoyable.
"J.C.H.C." by Officer Negative is only additional soundtrack.
Footage filmed using an iPhone 14. Titles and other animations created and project edited using Final Cut Pro X on a Mac Mini and Motion 4 on a Macbook Pro. Filmed and edited by Joel A. Swanson.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfM5DNMMi9aE
No comments:
Post a Comment