a TigerRAWk Film

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

"I'm Not The Devil" by Leper (Music Video)

Skot Shaw approached me with another video idea for Leper which we got started on shooting in the middle of September 2023. The song this video would be for is called "I'm Not The Devil" off of the "Chasing Shadows" release and it's about not judging others on appearances or other differences.

The idea Skot had for settings for these shoots were in front of several churches around Chicago. His directive was to get as much detail on the art and architecture as I could while shooting the clips. Another idea he had was to use images from the art of Gustave Dore that depict the devil from Scripture as well as works such as Dante's Inferno or Paradise Lost. I found eight images that I felt worked and originally set them at the beginning of the video synced up to synth bass sounds. Skot suggested dropping them into spots throughout the video so I attempted to do that as well...adjusting the opacity to layer it over the exiting footage. I really ended up using one of the shots as the primary footage to work off of and then worked to sync the rest of the footage to that clip and later to the audio track. I messed around a bit with the settings until I was able to get the audio to be able to be "scrubbed" which allows me to visually see the levels of the audio and sync to that as well as attempting to read lips or guitar strumming patterns. All this was completed in a surprisingly low amount of time. I sent a first draft to Skot to make sure I was working the project in the right direction. After getting his approval, I worked on adjusting the appearance of the footage. I used the gradient colorize effect to bring the footage to a black and white appearance. I made some adjustments to ensure that the building architecture and art wasn't lost. I did this to each different clip as the lighting was different in each place where we captured footage. I then added in the old film effect to degrade the quality somewhat and also added in the vignette effect that seems to work well with the old film effect. I sent it to Skot for final approval. We discussed a few changes he'd like and worked out how to do them. Now it is available for all to see. Skot had an idea to shoot somewhere where there is a sunflower for him to cut, however, we never did get to that.

Footage filmed using a Canon Rebel T6s throughout Chicago. Title created using Motion 4 on a Macbook. Images by Gustave DorĂ© found and downloaded from Google. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Filmed and edited by by Joel A. Swanson. Directed by Skot Shaw.

TigerRAWk Music Video Playlist

No comments: