a TigerRAWk Film

Thursday, May 5, 2022

Save The Rock-N-Roll Fest (2022)

As the COVID-19 pandemic was only a couple months old, a plan for an event to help the independent venues in Chicago was organized by some of the venue managers. It was called Save The Rock-N-Roll Fest and it was meant to happen in December 2020. This was when the idea that the pandemic would be short lived but as we all experienced, with fall and winter the cases went up and bans on public gatherings continued. In December 2021, the folks tried to re-schedule the event for the middle of January 2022. This was derailed by another spike in cases due to the delta and omicron variants. So my birthday weekend was picked for the next attempt and thankfully it was able to happen! I had bought the three day pass back when the idea was announced. I ended up only going to two of the shows so the price tag for my choice to only attend the two shows was a bit high...but the whole idea was supporting the local music scene so that cost didn't really matter to me.

the first night fell on my birthday. There was another show I wouldn't have minded catching at least part of earlier but I decided I wanted to watch the last Pittsburgh Penguins regular season hockey game. I also ordered a deep dish pizza from Falco's I wanted to eat part of...which resulted in going to a show on a very full stomach!

I decided to use my Canon Rebel T6s with my Audio-Technica AT8024 microphone to capture these shows. I had some things I wanted to try to know how they might work for future projects.  I created an intro clip and animated part of it using Motion 4 on a Macbook. I added bad film and tv effects using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini which I also used for the rest of the editing.

Cobra Lounge - Friday April 29th, 2022

https://youtu.be/v9t41uyA4_8


https://youtu.be/mTrtgSXN-Ak


https://youtu.be/hPWUiT4djyQ


https://youtu.be/ZwYtu_VSJuE
I ran a little late due to watching the Pittsburgh Penguins last hockey game of the regular season but I was able to see every band that played at Cobra Lounge on Friday April 29th, 2022. When I arrived I was given a lanyard that was my ticket to any show during the weekend in the participating venues. I apparently also had the opportunity for a free shot of Malört, Deep Eddy vodka, or an Old Style beer from each venue. I didn't see anyone really taking advantage of this so I chose not to as well. The opening band was called Aweful. They were NOT awful. They feature members of other bands I've seen locally: Mystery Actions and Hot Lips Messiah. They played a good set of punk rock. The next band was Evil Empire who were one of the openers for the Flatfoot 56 show over St. Patrick's Day weekend at Reggies. I enjoyed their style of ska. The Operators were next and came from Indianapolis. They played ska as did the headliners, The Crombies. It was a good show!

Liar's Club - Saturday April 30th, 2022

https://youtu.be/WsKKe8r91xM
Setlist:
1. Black Thorn
2. Knuckles Up
3. Penny
4. I Believe It
5. Stutter
6. Warriors
7. Sorry
8. Hourglass
9. Hoity Toity
10. Medley (You Are My Sunshine, This Land Is Your Land..., Dirty Old Town)
11. Winter In Chicago
12. We Grow Stronger
13. I'll Fly Away


https://youtu.be/OOxhm8Rt0Kg


https://youtu.be/t8Pb5PaOY2o


https://youtu.be/QVqPuGHQPRE
On Saturday evening, April 30th, 2022, after a stormy day I took a stormy drive to Liar's Club. I got there fairly early and talked with Tobin for a bit before the show. This would be the first time that Flatfoot 56 would ever play Liar's Club! Several of the members had played the venue in other bands that they were part of but never as Flatfoot 56. I decided that I was going to use the show as a bit of a test for the Canon Rebel T6s. I hadn't yet tried to film for more than 12 minutes so I wanted to see if that limit was something I'd have to navigate through. As they took the stage and set up, I decided to let my camera just roll for a while. The intro has some of that footage. I let it go for about 18 minutes before deciding to stop and prepare for the actual show.

The openers were called The Rip Ups. I actually thought that they said The Rip Offs, ha! They played a rockabilly style of punk. I thought I had a decent filming spot but some guy stood directly in front of me and so I decided for the next set I'd move to the other side of the room against the wall but close to the stage in hopes for better luck. While I still had people stand in front of me, it wasn't quite as direct and it was manageable. I had to set the lens to capture as wide as it could so I could get the whole stage. Squared Off was next. I got a quick chat in with Nomi before they took the stage. I really enjoy their style of oi punk! Splatter Pattern was next from Milwaukee and I really enjoyed them as well. Unfortunately the text I put in the video was mistakenly left as "Squared Off" so my apologies. Flatfoot 56 closed the night. As I mentioned before I shot some footage as they set up then I shot the entire set. There is a little glitch in the middle of the song "Hoity Toity" due to the maximum recording limit being 30 minutes on the Canon Rebel T6s. So in that, I learned the limits of this camera. At some point I noticed the timer numbers blinking on the camera. While editing this seems to coincide with the files being split in half in the 18-19 minute mark. I'm not sure why that occurred. Anyway, I had fun filming the entire set.

I decided to make a playlist for the footage from Save The Rock-N-Roll Fest and decided to organize it in order of the bands I captured.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh9ZwEF2QQpPIYT4kJRF-t5fHNtIyPqA4

Filmed using a Canon Rebel T6s with an Audio-Technica AT8024 microphone. Edited using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Intro clip animated using Motion 4 on a Macbook. Filmed, animated, and edited by Joel A. Swanson.

No comments: